[T3] 4-Tracks

Having worked in public radio (as 'talent,' if you can believe) through the
80's, I can vouch for the 4-track line.  They are referred to in the
industry as 'Carts', short for cartridge (duh).  At least in broadcast radio
applications, there wasn't any track changing.  Based on the horrifying
fidelity they would give (and after 8 or 10 plays, yeeeeech!), I shudder to
think what the 'Strawberry Hill Boys,' or the 'Turtles' would sound after 30
years.

They physically looked like 8-tracks that I recall, and were a little
sturdier (though that could just be industry spec).  They have (and
presumably on the *really* tiny stations, still are) been used as recently
as the mid 90's.  I actually saw one o' them thar shiny-new stations
(couldn't get the job though, they seem to think Public Radio folks are
'provincial,' and 'quaint.') and 95% of their stuff is now loaded onto
computers as mp3's and such.  Sigh.