Re: [T3] Rusty screws

On 27 Jan 99, at 15:07, Damian Clement wrote:

> Whilst disassembling my 1970cc Vanagon motor, I have found several corroded
> screws of the type that hold the cooling tin onto the case.  They are so bad
> that even the x pattern on top disintegrated when I tried to unscrew them.
>
> Any tips on how to remover these? I don't fancy the thought of having to
> drill them out, expense etc.

There is no substitute for the old HEAT WRENCH!  Heat them up with a
torch (very dull red is more than hot enough), let them cool a
moment, and then just unscrew them.  If these are cooling tin screws,
heating the nut side is most effective.

Pay Attention!  Be careful of what else is in the torch flame and
beyond.  Watch for rubber and plastic parts, especially gas lines.
Don't set fire to your engine!

Jim