Re: [T3] Rear Defroster

On 25 Jan 99, at 23:56, Patrick J. Morton wrote:

> >>Could somebody please explain the workings of the rear defroster in a 1969
> >>Notch?
>
> I am also wondering if there is any way to know if a used (heated) rear
> window is still any good.  I come across a few from time to time, but
> usually don't bother with them for the simple reason that I have never seen
> an installed one that still conducts heat.

I have a book that lists the power disipated in these windows as 60-
70 watts.  If I assume a system voltage of 14.2 V then that would
require a resistance of no more than 3.36 Ohms.  In my experience,
you would be VERY lucky to come across one that measures as low as 10
Ohms.  If you can find one under 8-10 Ohms, buy it.

> There is a company in the UK that sells heated front windshields for Typ 1
> Beetles and Ghias.  They advertize the same "for all types of Volkswagens",
> but with the fla!Õçé Typ 1 windshields going for £150, I can only
> imagine what a Typ 3 windshield would cost.

Stock windshields are that much here.  How is the heating done?  Do
they add stripes like the rear windows have?  Could they repair the
stripes on a bad rear window?

Jim