Re: Cam

Jim Adney wrote:

> From:                   Justin <C-ya@tmgbbs.com>
>
> > Got a question about new cams.  How much "hotter" can I go w/o reworking
> > the heads?  For now, I just want to get a new cam and be able to put it
> > in and go.  Don't have the fundage for more work.  I'm rebuilding the
>âMx­e myself - first time, but armed with the VW shop manual, I have no
> > doubt that I can do it.  Just not too sure about the little nuances of
> > hopping up a VW engine.
>
> It is absolutely true that you CAN do this yourself, but you need to
> do some studying up first.  There are 2 books you should have:
>
> Volkswagen Official Service Manual
> Type 3 Fastback and Squareback 1968-1973
> published by Robert Bentley, Cambridge, Mass, 1974
> ISBN 0-8376-0057-X / LPV 997 383 / VSQU
> (excellent book, complete and well written)
>
> and,
>
> How to Hotrod Volkswagen Engines
> by Bill Fisher
> published by H. P. Books, Tucson, AZ, 1970
> ISBN 0-912656-03-4
> (excellent book, well written and researched)
>
> Without these you will be running under a severe handicap.
>
> Jim
> -

I would also like to recommend the book
"How to rebuild your Volkswagen air-cooled engine"
by Tom Wilson
Published by H.P.books,
ISBN 0-89586-225-5

This book has a great chapter on interchangeability of parts and covers both
types 1,2,3 and 4 engines, as well as 914

PerL
73 Square
68 Bug
88 Vanagon Syncro