Re: [T3] valves, timing

On 18 Jan 99, at 22:59, Ginger D.&Peter P. wrote:

>     I adjusted the valves tonight, and I have a question:  Why was the
> #3 exh«Z̃ve still at .006" gap?  All the others were between .007
> and .010.  Does this mean I am burning up this valve?

The norm is for the valves to tighten up as they wear.  If yours are
loosening then that is a sign of something wrong.  There are many
possibilities: head studs coming loose, head studs pulling out of
case, soft lifters (poor quality) wearing too fast....

>     Tommorow I will regap the points and static time.  But I can't
> match my fan pulley marks with the Muir guide.  The marks look like
> this    I   I I I, which looks like a '72+ from the illustrations.

This looks like the up to 71 style to me; on those, the left mark is
much deeper.

> The motor was rebuilt by the PO, who I know had a '68 motor in there
> for awhile, but that doesn't match either.  I list consensus is 7.5
> deg. BTDC for my 009/dual solex setup, so which notch?  In the past I
> used the 3rd (from the left), assuming they were 0.0, 5.0, 7.5, and
> 10.0 respectively...

If it is the earlier style, they are 0, 7.5, 10, 12.5.

Jim