Re: [T3] Dual port conversion

On 12 Jan 99, at 22:26, Steven Ayres wrote:

> Since we're in the area, I've often wondered: why do the crankcase
> vent gases and gunk go into the air cleaner and tops of the carbs rather
> than directly into the manifold? Wouldn't the carbs stay a lot cleaner
> that way?

If they went directly into the manifold, they would not get mixed
with any gas and the resulting mixture would probably be too lean.
There's a pretty good vacuum downstream of the throttle plates when
they're closed, so this would really suck on the case and would
probably suck air/dirt in through the rear around the tail of the
crank.

Note that 72-3 type 3 FI engines actually DO this, but there is a
rather small aperture to limit the airflow and clean air is supplied
from the air cleaner to each head to allow for this.

Jim
-