[T3] Sensor q'ds

Ok here's the scoop:
last year had probs with super rich running and rough acceleration, loss
of power on hills.  and against commom sense i took apart the pressure
sensor ( figured i couldnt make it WORSE) so..
After some twiddling I actually got the mpg better, rough accelration was
a broken wire ( one of the four wires that go into the front of the
pressure sensor was broken) and its real smooth and everything.
lingering prob is Ive never gotten the mpg back to normal, just as some
of you suggested I wouldnt. But so far Im at around 23 mpg highway,
somwhat less in town.
So, not being a TOTAL cheapskate I bought the bullet and ordered a new,
not rebuilt, pressure senosr from my FLAPS with the exact corectamundo
part number. Only took four days to get one from Bosch.
As I mentioned in the past, the p.o. switched the system to Porsche 914
so I paid much more, but gotta stay the FI course.
Anyway, so I put in the new sensor, remember the part numbers matched on
the old sensor and the new,
and it fires right up! runs extremely smooth on revving it up! But it
wont idle and it wont keep running when I hold the gas pedal in one spot,
so I gotta keep pumping the pedal.
I put in the old sensor and it fires up and runs smooth, but I now notice
not as smooth as the new one.  But the old one has no prob idling or
anything, just poor mpg.
Im on the right path I sense it, but whats up? Did i do something wrong?
The new one looks exactly the same and the part numbers are both 0 280
100 043.

makes you go hmmmm. makes me go AAAAAAHHHHHH.
Although, on the Bosch box, in little letters is a second set of numbers
that I dont know matter or not, they are 039 906 051.
on the box but that number doesnt appear on the pressure sensor. I wonder
if thats just the Porsche number.
Ah well.
Incidentally I abandoned the VW FOX idea when almost no one said anything
good about them.  It was a thought, because it had so low miles ( an 87
wagon with 67Kmiles)
Ive decided to look into a Passat.  But fyi, Im keeping the Fastback no
matter what.
All the above is about my 71 Fastback with FI ( Porsche 914 stuff)
Thanks
John 71 Fastback