Re: Squareback lowering.

First, get a manual and read up on the front end.  Second, read it again, so
there won't be any surprises (you'll probably have some waiting for you when you
start the procedure...).

I lowered my T3 myself using a Haynes manual for guidance and it was easy.  Make
sure you mark the lower arm to the spline (a grease marker will do or you can
scribe the metal) in case things get messed up you can put it back together
again.  When slowly pulling the arm off the torsion spline, twist it just a
little so when the arm comes off the torsion bar you will feel it.  Then slowly
pivot the arm up and push so you can feel the arm engage the splines again --
that's one notch.  Slowly pull out and twist up until you feel the splines
separate again.  Twist up and push.  Once the splines match up again, that's two
notches, etc.  Also, you will need to replace the shocks with stiffer ones and
you may need to remove the rubber bumper stops.  If you keep the stock shocks
you will be bottoming out over every bump you cross.  I don't remember the
brand/model of shocks I used -- they were Koni or Gas-A-Just.

I lowered mine two notches.  It's mild and I think it looks good.  However, you
should lower the rear end also (I haven't done this and will let a shop do it
since I no longer have the facilities to do it myself).  My rear is still the
stock height and it's causing the caster in the front to be off -- in other
words, she wanders, imprecise steering, bump-steer, etc.  Lowering the rear to
match the front will return the caster (and no one makes caster wedges for the
T3).

Another thing to check:  tire clearance.  Make sure your tire will fit inside
the wheel well.  I am running 195/60 and they fit, but if I turn the wheels as
far as I possibly can the tire will rub a tad on the trunk-side well.

Good luck,
     Toby Erkson
     air_cooled_nut@pobox.com
     modified '72 Squareback 2.0L