Re: type3-d Digest V2005 #44

On 25 Jan 2005 at 17:03, franzmoore@optonline.net wrote:

> Well, I've finally got a reason to write as I've recently aquired a 69
> Fastback. The car had been converted to a single weber carb at some
> point, such that, as the carb stuck up past the original engine cover,
> Ideally, I would like to return it back to the original fuel injection,
> just not sure where to start. I do have a number of nos type III fuel
> injection parts at my disposal, including ecu's, fuel pumps, pressure
> sensors, (i believe that j.adney bought the last of the fuel injectors
> i had though).

Welcome to the list. Your post was fine except that you didn't give it an
appropriate subject. Don't change it now, but in the future it helps us follow
threads if the subject is something appropriate and unique.

It took me a moment to realize where your name was familiar. I believe I've
bought a number of parts from you over the past couple of years. You've been a
good ebay supplier of VW parts. Nice to see that you've decided to join us
here.

The single weber carb conversion is a particularly bad piece of hardware. Not
only does it stick up where it shouldn't, but it also runs so rich that the
engines don't last long. Yes, get rid of it.

You've mentioned your two best choices of restoration. Restoring the FI can be
daunting for someone who is not already familiar with it, but that will give
you the best driveability and cold weather starting. The OE Solex dual carbs
are a very close second. If you can find a COMPLETE set of those, that would be
the easiest installation, but you have to make sure that you get all the parts:
air cleaner, dual port intake manifolds, carbs, throttle linkage, bell crank,
balance pipe, with good 12V electric chokes and electric idle jets. The
linkages, bell crank, balance pipe and air cleaner are often missing from the
sets we see for sale.

> r for me to revert to the dual carb set up that came on the earlier
> type III's. I know there has been debate on carb versus fuel
> injection, and i would prefer to go back to the fuel injection, not
> sure i'm up to the task, technically or financially.

I'm not sure which would be the most expensive. Getting everything together and
working, without a FI car to copy, would be more challenging, but it could
certainly be done if you're not in a hurry. I probably have any parts here that
you don't already have.

Is your new '69 MT or AT?