[T3] Newbie Questions

I have been lurking for about a year or so, collecting information for my project car.  I own and am starting work on a 1973 Squareback.  I bought it about a year or so ago.  It is in fairly good shape, excepting body damage. The only real rust on it is that hole under the battery.  It ran when the previous owner parked it in 1998.  It has a new starter on it.  I removed the spark plugs and put some oil in the cylinders, disconnected the fuel line and connected another battery to it.  The engine will turn.  I heard the two clicks at the ignition, and can here the fuel pump spin.

Every time I look at the engine I find a hose or wire that is hanging loose, so you can expect more questions in the future.

The previous owner parked it in 1998 after an accident.  He swapped drivers side fenders with someone.  I have replaced the spindle, the beam looks straight.

So here are my questions.

1) The fuel lines are original cloth covered rubber, they are cracked and leaking.  I will replace them with new rubber fuel line.  While examining them, I found a square box in the line.  According to the Bentley book it is called a fuel damper.  Is it necessary or should it be replaced with a filter.

2) I have never gone about this type of thing before but am reasonably mechanically inclined.   Does someone have a checklist or an outline of steps to get an engine running.  I am looking more for the order in which I should go through the systems.

3) I have the Bentley book, and the John Muir's book.  Any others I should get.

4) Are there any Type 3 enthusiasts in the North Dallas, TX area?  I would like to take a look at the engine of a car that runs.

My goal is to restore it as original as possible and to use it as a daily driver and local car shows.   I am working on it with my son (11 almost 12), and if I can get it on the road by January or Feburuary, and can drive it back and forth to work till August (hopefully breakdowns occur here in town), I plan to drive it to the Type 3 invasion.

Thanks in Advance
Charles Anderson
Lake Dallas TX