Re: [T3] Newbie Questions

> 1) The fuel lines are original cloth covered rubber, they are cracked and
> leaking.  I will replace them with new rubber fuel line.  While examining
> them, I found a square box in the line.  According to the Bentley book it is
> called a fuel damper.  Is it necessary or should it be replaced with a filter.

Get regular 5/16" rubber fuel line.  To do the whole car, you will need
several feet.  I forget how much..

The damper is kind of roundish.  You can keep in on there.  The fuel filter
is a square box.  Should be mounted in a bracket under the bumper.  You
probably want to replace this.  Also, open up the fuel tank and look inside.
If there's a lot of rust and sediment, consider cleaning it out.  Change out
the in-tank filter sock, too.

There is also a rubber "overflow" hose under the fuel filler neck.  This is
probably cracked, torn, or missing.  If you can find a new one, replace this
part.  Otherwise, cobble something together from hardware store parts.

> 2) I have never gone about this type of thing before but am reasonably
> mechanically inclined.   Does someone have a checklist or an outline of steps
> to get an engine running.  I am looking more for the order in which I should
> go through the systems.

I'd start with the brakes.  Then do general tune-up items on the engine.
Valve adjustment, compression test, fuel system fix-up.  Change the oil.
Check the wires and hoses (compare with diagrams in Bentley), and see if it
starts!

> 3) I have the Bentley book, and the John Muir's book.  Any others I should
> get.

You have it covered pretty well.  I do like the Haynes, too.  It's still in
print, and the photos are of dusty old cars just like ours.

-Mark Fuhriman
 '69 Fastback.  Orinda, CA