Re: [T3] Oil breather cap off

--- Keith Park <topnotch@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> > oil breather cap had popped off. What does this
> > signify? Too much oil pressure?
> Means its time to find another good one... plastic
> shrinks and they pop off
> sometimes when older.

Luckily I had bought one when Toby offered them. I'm
going to see if I can stretch this one out first
through.

>  I thought I was on the
> > low side of pressure because sometimes after a
> long
> > drive my oil light would just barely flicker in
> rhythm
> > with the idle of the engine.
> Your lower end is near end of life... but they can
> go on this way for quite
> sometime, so long as you dont push it too hard.

I first noticed it when driving it home for the first
time. I haven't noticed it since then, but I've only
driven it a few times at night. If the rings have worn
in now will that help the oil pressure? I'm hoping to
push off the lower-end rebuild until just after the
Hershey invasion. I'll keep from pushing it too hard
until then.

> Without even knowing
> > this, the mechanic who inspected the car said I
> should
> > be using 20W50 in it (which is what I put in it
> this
> > morning).
>
> BIG mistake!... well... ok, regular mistake. 10W 40
in the
> winter, no more, even if the
> engine is shot.

Ack... I knew better, but I listened to the mechanic.
I'll do another oil change before it gets real cold
out.

Thanks!

=====
Aaron Clow - http://www.tiserves.com/VW/