Re: [T3] Modern a/c

On 4 Sep 2002, at 0:17, DGaries808@aol.com wrote:

> With the two belt system, one can rest easy, if the belt breaks. It breaks
> fail-safe. One belt operates the engine-generator and works just like the
> original system. If that belt breaks, one knows that the cooling system is gonna
> fail, if he continues to run the engine. The second belt operates the compressor
> only. If the latter breaks, the a/c just quits working. With the long, single
> belt, if the belt breaks, the cooling system is gonna fail, and that's bad. The
> generator will stop genning, and that's how you tell that the a/c has failed.
> Unfortunately, it may be after frying the engine.

While this is certainly true on most cars, it is not true of type 3s (or type 4s
either.) Our cars have the fan mounted directly on the crankshaft, so that the
cooling fan blows as long as the crankshaft is turning over.

Don is correct that the 2 best system is the only way to go if you insist on
installing AC in your type 3.

Note also that you should really go thru your dash area before you install the
under-dash AC unit. Once that is in place you won't ever want to see in there
again. So pull out the wiper mechanism and lube the shafts, clean out the
fresh air boxes and their water drain hoses, and make sure the electrical
system is in good shape, as replacing fuses is about to become a nightmare.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054