Re: [T3] Really basic breaker point question

<x-charset iso-8859-1>> How do modern engines work that don't have a distributor? I have come to
the
> obvious conclusion that messing with (and hopefully learning something
> about) my VW has taught me almost nothing about my other cars

> Whatever the plug wires on my 1999 Hyundai Accent (1500cc FI) go into,
it's
> obviously not a distributor, as it's rectangular. Can I assume it's some
> kind of solid-state, computerized gizmo that does the same job

Yep you can make that assumption, and you would be correct as well :) Pretty
much anything that does not have a distributor essentially runs off of a
coil that is computer controlled. Its actually a MUCH better system. A
distributor really is a piss poor way of getting the spark to the cylinders.
The air gap in the dist as well as the resistance in the top eat away power
that coul be used more efficiently (it takes a huge amount of voltage away
just for the spark to cross the small air gap in the dist). The "modern"
ignition systems are, as I said, basically a coil that is computer
controlled, which can be varied for engine speed, load etc. Some cars have a
coil per cylinder, or a coil per 2 cylinders.

In the end it still performs the same function as a dist and points, it just
does it much more efficiently