Re: [T3] Really basic breaker point question

<x-charset iso-8859-1>

> I've been digging through my books looking for this answer, without
success.
> I haven't worked with breaker points for about 15 years, and then it was
> just once; everything since has been eletronics.

Off topic but kind of connected to this subject (maybe if anyone feels like
answering mail me off-list so as not to bother everyone else):

How do modern engines work that don't have a distributor? I have come to the
obvious conclusion that messing with (and hopefully learning something
about) my VW has taught me almost nothing about my other cars, which are
about 30 years younger, to the extent that I can't even identify the parts
that I can see under the bonnet (hood). That is of course, if you can see
them. The Ford Focus has black plastic covers over most things, which
obviously mean "Keep out!"

Whatever the plug wires on my 1999 Hyundai Accent (1500cc FI) go into, it's
obviously not a distributor, as it's rectangular. Can I assume it's some
kind of solid-state, computerized gizmo that does the same job?

Regards,

Daniel Baum
'69 Type 34 automatic
1999 Hyundai Accent 1500 automatic
And at various times but not all at once:
1998 Nissan Almera 1600
2001 Ford Focus 1600
etc. etc.