[T3] New here with engine question

Howdy Y'all,
my name is John Baker and I have been on the type2 and vintage bus lists forever. I have owned a ton of buses and I am getting ready to take the plunge into Type3 world. I am getting a 73 squareback from a guy in Canada. Here's my question:  I have a 1600 DP engine from a 73 bug, is this the same 1600 that will be found in the type3? Is engine tin same? Can I just throw a beetle engine in the square with no further mods?
I look forward to getting to know these cars and the folks on this list as I have gotten to know the Type2 folks.

Peace, John Baker
1971 Westy
1966 Kombi
http://www.geocities.com/jbakerccymca
"...so we got in the red VW microbus with the shovels and rakes and implements of destruction and
headed on to the police officer's station..."