Re: [T3] My rebuilt engine is finally running but ???

On 9 Jan 2002, at 9:39, Martinez, Leon wrote:

> My head temps are around 325 even at the steepest clims for one minute with good
> power. My oil temps are very low is this bad ? Four adults, uphill 50 mph for a
> few minutes, full sun gives me oil temps that are so low that it only feels warm
> at the stick, probably under 130 degrees max. I am thinking of placing a
> thermostat on my cooler system soon. Cool oil bad ? The sand rail guys down here
> say that cold oil is not the best and that warm oil like mine is desireable
> under heavy use, hot oil breaks down and fails. What do you guys think?????

The oil temp sounds a bit quite low to me. I'd like to see it at 160-180F if only
because that would give you more oil flow to places like the head where it
would help carry away the heat. Modern oil will have absolutely no problems
below 200F.

> I have a slight problem on the idle. The engine idles
> rough but steady
> Do you guys think it is the cam ? I bought this rebuilt hydraulic cam from a
> machine shop as a part of a refurbished hydraulic kit, the machinist told me
> that this was a cam for a bus with good low end but did not have the numbers.
> What do you think I have ??????

Most likely the cam is somewhat "hot" and this is just part of the territory.

> My MOFOCO heads at this point do prove to be cooler than my stock ones, even
> with much higher compression but has big valves, can this contribute the
> rough idle and louder muffler????

Sure.

-
Jim Adney