Re: [Tƌ or not to be...

Jim Adney wrote:

> On 19 Mar 99, at 18:25, Justin wrote:
>
> > What do I have???????
> >
> > I bought all parts for a 1600, and everything is fitting together
> > nicely.  Should I follow the assembly directions for a 1600?  Everything
> > else I have done has been for a 1600, so I'm rather confused about the
> > case code.
>
> So am I. There never was an "O" type 3 engine, and all the dual oil
> pressure relief valve cases were made 70-. So yours should be a late
> 1600. It will have cam bearings and 8mm oil pump studs. OTOH, there
> might be any number of possibilities of what else could have been
> assembled into that case.
>
> It could, for example, have:
>
> An early non O-ring crank
> different crank shims (required by above)
> six volt flywheel
> 180 mm clutch
> 1500cc P/Cs
> Single port heads
> Single carb
>
> You won't know 'til you get in there and look.
>
> I am sending you a file of all the type 3 engines.
>
> Jim

I believe the both of you have mistaken a 0 (zero) with an O (oh). as the
Haynes puts it:
"The early models of the 1500 and 1500A were numbered serially from 0 to
1,209,302; after that a prefix letter was added to the engine identification
number, the prefix letter indicating the type of engine as under:
K   1500 and 1500S
T    1600
U    1600 FI
X    1600 FI auto"

Haynes #084, VW 1500 & 1600 Type 3, page 9, second column.

PerL
'73 Square (T 1069132)