Re: [T3] how far?

On 5 Apr 99, at 16:42, whizby wrote:

>   #1 spark plug gap has been closed, I'm thinking something broke off in
>   the
> cylinder and really messed things up, but further search reveals no
> foreign matter. the piston top and combustion chamber is all torn up like
> something small was bouncing around in there. could detonation do that?

She swallowed something. What was it? You should be able to find the
remains in the heat exchangers or muffler. Could it be something
dropped in during the rebuild (hard to imagine something sitting
harmlessly for 6000 miles then pulling throught) or are you missing
some carb parts?

> bottom line: i gotta rebuild. i want to swap camshafts, since I've got it
> torn down this far and go back to stock grind and hopefully fix my #'s…Ø« 3 lean problem. how much should i replace. new cam and lifters, of
> course, but new cam bearings? main bearings, rod bearings?  rings? this
> engine has a little over 6000 miles on it! it still has the hone marks on
> the cylinder walls.

If it didn't break through the crown of the piston, then you're
pretty safe. Check the rod to make sure it is straight, remove the
sharp edges from the piston crown (or replace that piston). Perhaps
this is a chance to semi-hemi the heads.

Your bearings should be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to inspect them.
They can tell you how much grit has been circulating with the oil.

Jim