something bad happened. the other night i was driving home from work when i
hear this nasty explosion noise, lose power and hear this loud putt  putt
noise like i shot out a spark plug( unfortunately a familiar noise on my
bug). i pulled over and checked things out. noise seems to be coming from
right side, all sparkplugs firmly in place,  all valve springs still there,
nothing seems to tight or too loose in the valve train region. it wont idle
, but will run if i give it a little gas. so i limp it home and check it out
in the day light.
  #1 spark plug gap has been closed, I'm thinking something broke off in the
cylinder and really messed things up, but further search reveals no foreign
matter. the piston top and combustion chamber is all torn up like something
small was bouncing around in there. could detonation do that?
bottom line: i gotta rebuild. i want to swap camshafts, since I've got it
torn down this far and go back to stock grind and hopefully fix my #'s 1 and
3 lean problem. how much should i replace. new cam and lifters, of course,
but new cam bearings? main bearings, rod bearings?  rings? this engine has a
little over 6000 miles on it! it still has the hone marks on the cylinder
walls. i haven't cracked open the case yet so i don't know if anything is
obviously damaged, I'll be doing that soon and of course then I'll know
more, but should 6K miles worth of wear warrant new bearings?

Brandon
73 broken(again)square