T3: Re: FI pumps

The check-valve plunger on yoiur used one is no doubt stuck or missing
the rubber tip.  This is what's in that piece perpendicular to the
main connections, serves to keep pressure up in the fuel ring and is
also a high-pressure relief valve.  There's a rubber tip on the
plunger that gets hard, doesn't seat or breaks off and gas just runs
back into the tank. I've fixed this with parts from a non-running
pump, but the parts are crimped together, it's hard to find seals and
it's a temp repair.  Last(and only) rebuilt I bought was $185, a new
one from RMMW was $350 or better.  I haven't paid more than $35 for a
pump in unknown condition, have gotten several from junkyards on the
West Coast. Very rare around here, too.

Don't let the guy sell you just any old electric pump, either.  Has to
be capable of doing at least 30 PSI(regulated to 28 or so)..  The ones
they sell for carburators just flat won't work.  There were several
different makes that used D-Jetronic, VW was only one.  Volvo and BMW
were two, Porsche 914 used it, too.  I'm not saying they all used the
same pump, but you might be able to cross reference it if you did some
research or poking around in junkyards.  They wre all early 70's
models, so you might not find any except in remote junkyards.