miserable times

Gents and ladies,
Thanks for all the imput on the starter probs, will check tonight.

To top all this wonderful happenings off...This past Sunday I, and a
good friend, took off for Ogden Utah on a quest, for the holy grail.
Okay, actually a promising sounding auto square at a paultry $250.  The
conversation over the phone was...The car has no reverse and needs a
battery, but could make the 7 hour trek to my home in Idaho.  Off we
go...from a block away I new it was a loser.  Started
inspecting...rusted out floors, huge puddle of oil, bigger puddle of
tranny fluid and completely oxidized paint.  There were springs for
seats and wiring hangin' all over the place.  I asked, "what's wrong
with it?"...the answer, "dude, it just sorta stopped."  "Was there a
clank, moan or groan?"  "I was driving it and it, dude, like died."
What a waste of time...I could have had my starter problems a day
earlier and had them fixed.

The good news...My buddy is still my buddy even after the 14+ hour
trip.  And he's not into VW's.

Brian
65 Notch auto w/air and heat
67 square w/soon to be fixed starter