Re: smog question

On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Dillon C. Carson wrote:

> hey all,
>    i was wondering what year the smog stuff began to effect Square Backs
> in the US. since i sold my 74 Super Beetle along with my idiots manual i
> haven't even a clue as to when smog began. i'm asking because i really
> hate having to swap engines to do smog. but i'll do what ever it takes to
> fool the government.
>
> oh and thanks to all of you who responded to my question on sleeping room
> in a SQB.
>
> oh i was wondering if there are any pictures of TIII SQB that are 69 and
> earlieron someone's web page.
>
>  well due to many inquires as to my choices and why i've decided to go for
> 69 and earlier here goes. i like the old body style. i like to avoid smog.
> i like the older dash styles and gauges. i like the rare factor as well.
> also if you know of any cars that meet these standards in the north Cali.
> area please send me info. thanks again.
>

> Dillon ( searching for perfect TIII SQB 69 and older models)
>
>  California (i live in Chico for school, Fresno for family, Bay Area for
>                                                             girlfriend)
>
> remember tough times don't last but tough people do.

i wrote this to get info on when smog stuff came out but all i've gotten
is responses on polution. personally i don't care about the enviroment.
you know what if they can have an oil spill in Alaska and clean it up as
best they can. leave it and come back in a few months to find that the
enviroment didn't need any help to clean it up then why bother with
worrying. the enviroment thrived on the oil. the bacteria ate the oil the
plankton ate the bacteria and algea and the whole system was fine. but
thats just my theory.

  now back to where i was the smog stuff. i'll avoid it if possible by not
buying a newer model threby not turning a 70 model into a gas hog that
polutes and swaping engines to do smog. so in reality i'm doing no more
harm by buying an older car. infact i may even make less polution buy
giving the older car a proper overhaul and tune up.