smog question

hey all,
   i was wondering what year the smog stuff began to effect Square Backs
in the US. since i sold my 74 Super Beetle along with my idiots manual i
haven't even a clue as to when smog began. i'm asking because i really
hate having to swap engines to do smog. but i'll do what ever it takes to
fool the government.

oh and thanks to all of you who responded to my question on sleeping room
in a SQB.

oh i was wondering if there are any pictures of TIII SQB that are 69 and
earlieron someone's web page.

 well due to many inquires as to my choices and why i've decided to go for
69 and earlier here goes. i like the old body style. i like to avoid smog.
i like the older dash styles and gauges. i like the rare factor as well.
also if you know of any cars that meet these standards in the north Cali.
area please send me info. thanks again.

Dillon ( searching for perfect TIII SQB 69 and older models)

 California (i live in Chico for school, Fresno for family, Bay Area for
                                                            girlfriend)

remember tough times don't last but tough people do.