Re: T-3: Seat pad replacement?

Melissa & Jim wrote:

> >     Hello. My original seat covers are in pretty good shape, but the seat
> >     pad (foam) is sagging. I know that replacement form-fit pads are
> >     available.
>
> I cut my own out of foam rubber from an upholestery (sp?) shop and bits of
> good quality carpet remnants.
> >     Any special tricks to removing and reinstalling the 30-year-old vinyl?
> >     I suppose I should use new hog rings to reattach the seat cover to the
> >     frame. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> OEM didn't use hog rings.  In my opinion neither do quality resorations.
> Just look at how it was originally done.

The original upholstery(lower cushon) is held directly to the seat frame
by metal tabs.  The tabs are like little spikes.  The material is
streched tight, pushed over the tab, and then the tab is bent into the
seat frame.  Be careful because these tabs will break off easily.  The
seat back upholstery is just pulled over and secured by a zipper at the
bottom, or at least mine was.

 Tim Fink                              \    /
                                        \  /
 69 Squareback (New 1776cc Motor)  \     \/     /
 79 Dasher                          \    /\    /
 81 Diesel Rabbit                    \  /  \  /
 67 Fastback                          \/    \/

tfink@hubcap.clemson.edu
South Carolina