RE: [T3] As the Tank Turns - this weekend's episode

Jim, I don't know what to say, but I am in posession of a round filler
port tank without a vent.  So the Bently manual is not 100% correct.

this tank is saying that in 1969 the filler changed, but the vent was
not added.

> > So, I think I've found a tank that I can use although with a vented gas
> > cap. The funny thing is that this one is also misaligned!
>
> Sounds odd, what's misaligned?

I think you were out when we discussed this.

I have a tank that the return port does not align with the hole in the
cup at the bottom of the tank.  there is only 1/4 of the return tube
visible.  The cup was welded off-center.

With this new 69 tank, it's also misaligned, but the tube is just up
against the side of the hole.  Fuel seems to flow smoothly, so I'm
going to try to use it anyway.

2 out of the 4 T3 tanks I've worked on these past weeks were misaligned.
 I have no idea if I'm just that lucky or if that could be an actual
percentage of misaligned tanks.  *Your tank may vary.

> > > and for Andy, I know that a 69 up to 71 will work for you... as long as
> > it's also not rusted and/or misaligned.
>
> VW introduced the Evaporative Emission Control system (charcoal
> cannister) in '70, so I think all the cars after that had tanks with
> slightly different venting ports. That's why I suggested a '70-3 tank
> as a replacement for a '71.

oh, I understand your suggestion Jim.  What I should have said is that
in a pinch, he could also use back to 69 with the round filler port and
not have to change out the filler neck hose.

Since the charcoal canister probably isn't doing him any good by now
anyway, at least he could get back on the road with an earlier tank
without the vent.

Big.Al
Houston