Re: [T3] Compression Woes

On 7 Jul 2006 at 7:06, knowonelse@sbcglobal.net wrote:

> I forgot to mention that one stud started coming out
> when I was taking the head nuts off. Top forward right.
> I'll torque it to see if it is stripping and check the
> other ones as well.

Right, unscrewing is okay; stripping is entirely different.

> The right head is a genuine VW head.
>
> On the top rear of the head is an opening, about 13mm in
> diameter, that looks like something should be attached
> otherwise it is open to whatever may fall in there.
> What is supposed to be there. The front top of this head
> is a threaded boss, which I assume it for a later T3.

This is a 72-3 left side FI head. The threaded boss is for the cyl head temp
sensor and the hole is for a breather tube. This head originally had a step in
the combustion chamber that the cylinder sealed against, to reduce the
compression ratio. Is that step still there?

That's a poor head for your engine, mainly because of the breather hole, which
explains all the oil around that side. If the step is still there, I'd very
much like that head since they are very hard to find in unmolested condition. I
have good, OE heads that I could swap you for it that would be better for you
and your engine.

Some of those heads came with small exhaust valves. No one is interested in
those. I think the std ex valve head dia was 32mm and the small ones were 30mm.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, the exhaust valve in your photo is not an OE valve, and I've not seen that
mark on any of mine. This head is probably a reconditioned head of questionable
quality. There are several sources of good exhaust valves (VW, ATE, TRW), but
there are LOTS of sources for bad ones.

Clean the carbon around the SP holes. Are there any cracks leading out to the
valve seats?

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org