Re: [T3] starting an early 62 overhaul

On 4 Jul 2006 at 14:42, Scott Taylor wrote:

> I've posted images of my teardown progress on The Samba:
>
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php
>
> Just enter "t3kg" in the "Submitter" search field.

Wow, there's a LOT of interesting stuff shown there. Stuff I've never seen
before and probably never will in person. A few questions come to mind:

Does the oil cooler mount on the case look like it's farther to the rear of the
engine than on modern cases? Your oil cooler is actually more over the # 4
cylinder than the # 3. I notice that the air cleaner also seems to be mounted
farther to the rear. I'm probably wrong about both of these.

The left end of the oil cooler seems to mount to the left top tin. I guess this
means that the early type 3 cooler is NOT the same as the beetle's. Is it the
same as a 356 Porsche?

You were probably lucky to get those rear top tin pieces, even though they were
mounted on the wrong side. Was everything else there? There's almost always
something missing from engines this old, especially from engines this unique
where people weren't familiar with where things belonged.

It's my understanding that the early heads and cases were just modified 40 hp
parts, so that's why the 90 deg heads with the funny fins and the long rocker
studs. The case should have the cam running right against the case material,
but RIMCO can bore the cam tunnel for std size modern cam bearings. That's
probably a good thing to do to this case.

The photos you posted earlier showed the underside of your right head. That
head had the early style of casting, where there is a machined area all around
the cylinder bore. That would be necessary for the copper sealing rings that we
were talking about a few days ago. I know I have some single port heads that
have this area, but I'll have to look to see if they have the 90 deg intake
port. If you have to replace a head, you might be able to find a 40 hp head
that could be converted, but it would probably have a different casting part
number. I'm actually surprised that this head has a 311 casting number since I
thought VW would have just made this part from the 40 hp casting.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org