Re: [T3] Starter Question

<x-flowed>
On Jun 4, 2005, at 10:03 AM, John Jaranson wrote:

I pulled the starter this morning and everything looks fine. Teeth are all good. Bushing looks OK. The solenoid kicks fine and the starter spun when I jumped the terminals with a screw driver.

To clarify, the solenoid kick when I hit the starter button (my starter contacts in the ignition switch are wore out and I installed a remote starter switch), but the starter would NOT spin. The engine turns over by hand just fine.

I am starting to suspect the remote starter switch that I installed. I think I am getting too much current loss in the switch. The solenoid sounds and feels real "draggy" when I release it. Like it doesn't want to return and I am thinking the contacts in the switch are hanging up. I have a new switch around here. I will install it and see what happens.

It is an actual starter switch so should be able to handle the current, but maybe I need to use it to trip a solenoid instead. I have one of the Ford starter solenoids around here somewhere.

OK, I put in the new switch and everything is back to normal. Starter spins better than it has in awhile. The old switch is very rough in its action. The new one is nice and smooth. I suspect it was getting worse and worse and finally just couldn't pass enough current to spin the starter. I will be adding a solenoid into the system later this weekend to save the switch from having to pass all of the starting current.

Thanks for all the input.

Back on the road.....wahoo!

Later,
John Jaranson
'66 Square (Sophy)
'70 Fasty (Jane 2 - Type 3 Lead Sled wannabe)
'71 Fasty (Jane -parts car due to rust)
various parts.....don't we all.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/jaransonT3/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/2006Invasion/