Re: [T3] STill geting air in fuel lines.

On 28 Nov 2001, at 20:51, Mark Healey wrote:

> 71 manual FI square.
> I'm still getting air in my fuel line.
> Symptoms:
>
> When I run the fuel pump staticaly I hear a high pitched squeal coming
> from the pressure regulator.  It gets higher and then stops.  If I try
> to start the car before the squeal stops it won't

This is pretty common and I don't think it is of any real concern. I THINK it
means that there is air in the line at startup and the pitch rises as the air is
cleared out. It is a sign that there is no NEW air being pulled into the line
during operation.

> All the fuel lines at the rear end of the car are new.
>
> The two steel lines runing to the front of the car are OK, judging
> from the amount of gas that ran out while I swapped the old line with
> the new.
>
> There is no noticible gas leaking.  At least I don't smell any.

You may not smell it. You should really take a good look at all of the
connections looking for wetness with the pump running.

> It's running lean.  Which may be an entirely seperate problem.

I agree, probably separate.

> I checked the injectors.  #1 seems to be more of a stream than a mist
> but not much.  Can I clean it or do I have to get a new one.

I don't know any way to clean them other than to run them with good gas and
possibly some FI injector cleaner additive. I'd make sure your overflow hose
is intact so that you're not getting water into the tank. This would cause rust
which could involve the injector nozzles.

You might try pulling off the plastic covers from the injector tips and seeing if
there is any rust anywhere that you could carefully scrape off.

Are these genuine Bosch injectors? If not, you may want to replace them
anyway. The spray should form a nice uniform cone.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054