Re: [T3] Fast Idle question

On 28 Nov 2001, at 10:38, Roush, Norman wrote:

> I have a stock '68 Squareback with original FI.  Values have been
> adjusted and timing is OK.  Fuel pressure is at 30#s.  It idles fine
> when warm at 850 RPM and starts easily without any problems.  It will
> pull away from home fine but when I get to the first red light, which is
> about 1/4 mile from my house and I nearly always catch red, the engine
> idles a bit fast at about 1200 RPM.  However, when the engine fully
> warms up the idle drops back down to 850 RPM.  This has been going one
> for a few weeks.  Is there something out of adjustment or is this caused
> by the cooler weather?

This sounds pretty normal. There is a temp sensitive air valve called the aux
air regulator which lets in extra air to boost the idle speed when the engine is
cold. This valve is probably just a little sticky and only opens up in the
morning after you have driven just enough to shake it loose. When you park
the car it is warm and the valve has closed again so when you restart it has
to "reset" itself to the cool weather.

This valve could be freed up a bit, but I wouldn't bother. What it is doing is
just fine. If the cars starts stalling on you then it is sticking too much, but
your weather doesn't get cold enough that this is ever likely to become an
issue.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org