Re: [T3] Difference between a 67 and 68?

Daniel,

I believe you are correct.  All Type3 models, whether they be a
Type31, Type34 or Type36, fit into the sequence of the last six
digits of the VIN.  Thus, the only indication that your's is a
Karmann Ghia is the second digit.  There was no separate chassis
number sequence for fastbacks, notchbacks, squarebacks or
Karmann Ghias.

If your's was a Type31 or a Type36 and with that VIN of
*349 003 500*, it would have come off the Wolfsburg production
line in August 1968 i.e. during the first month of the 1969 model
year production run.  However, Wilhelm Karmann GmbH would
have had their own production schedule.  So, it may have come off
the production line at Osnabreuck some time later.

Nevertheless, I am fairly certain that your rolling chassis (floorpan
with transmission, motor, suspension, steering and even wheels fitted)
probably left a production line at Wolfsburg during August 1968.
It would then have been sent by train to Osnabreuck for Karmann
to build one of their wonderful cars onto this rolling chassis.

I think the only way to find out exactly when your car left the
Osnabreuck factory is to write to the VW Museum at Wolfsburg
stating your car's VIN or "fahrzeug nr" and requesting a certificate
of its production details.  You should enclose DM20 in cash or at
least the equivalent in a currency that is easy for them to exchange
allowing for bank fees.  (I always send DM20 in cash.)  You should
get a reply within three weeks enclosing an A4 size certificate which
shows the date it left the production line, when it left the factory and
the destination (i.e. Germany, USA, Mongolia, Antarctica or wherever).
It also usually lists the M-Options that your car was built with and its
original colour scheme.  If you wish I could send you a scanned copy
of one of my car's birth certificate just to see what they look like.

The address is:
        Fahrzeug Identitats-Urkunde
        Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen
        Dieselstrasse 35