Re: [T3] Wiper motor

<x-charset iso-8859-1>The reason that my wiper motor stalled is that the spindles are rusted
solid.

I am going to take them apart at some point  - possibly next weekend - and
see if I can derust and lubricate them, and get them working again. If I
can't do it, or if it's corroded beyond repair, are replacement parts
available anywhere? Also I have an entire wiper motor assembly from a
Beetle, are any of the parts from that usable?

Daniel Baum

> In a message dated 11/23/01 7:01:03 AM Central Standard Time,
> russella@prairieinet.net writes:
>
> << Subj:     Re: [T3] Wiper motor
>  Date:  11/23/01 7:01:03 AM Central Standard Time
>  From:  russella@prairieinet.net (Russ Wolfe)
>  To:    type3@vwtype3.org
>
>  On Friday 23 November 2001 04:39, Daniel Baum wrote:
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > Today I had a Bright Idea. I thought, "Let's turn on the wiper switch
and
>  > see what happens".
>  >
>  > So here's what happened. I believe I heard a little "clunk" from the
wiper
>  > motor, and then a fuse blew. This didn't surprise me. What did surprise
me
>  > a bit was that next time I tried switching the ignition on, the fuse
blew
>  > again, even though the wiper switch was turned off.
>  >
>  > After blowing a few more fuses (I keep a stock of them) I disconnected
the
>  > wiper motor from the fuse box and all was well again.
>  >
>  > OK, so what have I done? Is it time to start looking for a new wiper
motor?
>  > Or is it the switch? How can I tell which one is the problem? There is
>  > plenty more wiring to be done in the car, so I cannot discount the
>  > possibility that it is the wiring, except that up to now everything was
OK
>  > even with the wiper motor connected to the fuse box.
>  >
>  It sounds like the wiper motor started to move and then stalled. When it
> came
>  off the "parked" position, it closed the circuit that returns it to
"park".
>  This circuit has power all the time the key is on, until the motor gets
back
>  to the park position, even with the wiper switch off.
>  Us people that live in the snow belt here in the USA have this problem
when
>  the wiper get frozen down to the windshield. I don't think ice is your
>  problem.
>  I would start looking at the linkage going from the motor to the wiper
>  shafts. Something is in a bind, or caught on something.
>  BE CAREFUL. I have seen a wiper motor take the end off a persons finger
when
>  it came free and started running.
>
>  --
>  Russ Wolfe
>  '71 Fastback AT
>  '66 Fastback MT (IT RUNS)
>  russw@classicvw.org
>  http://www.classicvw.org
>
> I had this very thing happen to my Type  34, except the wiper stuck in the
up
> position. What happened was that I had just installed a tachometer, and
moved
> the clock over one hole to the right. The wiper got stuck on the clock in
the
> up position,
> and for the longest time I couldn't figure it out. When I did figure it
out,
> the clock was
> burned out and was inoperable.
>
> Don Garies