Re: [T3] Older brakes on old car

On 23 Nov 2001, at 19:49, Mike Wodkowski wrote:

> > Okay, that's pretty convincing!  ;-) You're better off just sticking
> > with the early calipers and other parts.
>
> Ok, so are these readily avail? Or any have a working RH earlier
> caliper for sale? Or the appropriate innards?

I think the rebuild kits are rather easy to find. I recommend
rebuilding over replacing with new because the new ones are not as
nice as the originals.

> Or is this just a pull-apart and clean out and put back together
> operation? Dont have Bentley in font of me, but I recall reading
> something about having to replace the piston??

Rebuilding these can be tough. I do it, but I'm set up for it and it
can still take me an hour just to get one caliper apart. I have rebuilt
calipers on the shelf and can do an exchange, but I want to see the
exchange calipers first, just to make sure of what I'm getting.
There's a lot of junk out there.

OTOH, a caliper that seems stuck can also be a bad flexible hose.
These develop loose flaps of rubber inside which act as check
valves which keeps the fluid from returning to the MC after you let
up your foot.

Test for this by opening the bleed valve. Fluid should readily run out
of there. If it does not, there is something blocking it, either dirt in
the bleed valve itself or a bad hose.