Re: [T3] Coils

On 20 Nov 2001, at 21:57, Y and C Everhart wrote:

> What I've noticed about coils are that coils filled with oil (shake them and you
> can hear the oil slosh around) are usually the cheaper ones.  The O.E. Bosch
> coils and other good quality coils are epoxy filled (solid when shaken).  I
> won't use anything but Bosch, especially here in Arizona where the heat isn't
> very good for the oil filled ones.

I think the Bosch coils are also oil-filled, it's just that they are full, with no air
space so they don't slosh. I'm not sure about this, though, they might just be
filled with tar, but you will notice that they develop an oily region around all
the seals as the years pass.

There's nothing wrong with an oil filled transformer, in fact it's the best
insulation money can buy. At my former job I designed, built, and tested a
1:1 230V power transformer isolated for 175kV. It was oil filled and worked
like a charm. It's now a standard product for that company.

Epoxy has all kinds of problems as an insulator: It expands and contracts at
different rates from the parts inside and cracks as a result. The cracks
become leakage and spark paths, and once sparked it leaves a track which
never heals. The big advantage of fluid insulators is that they can't "track" so
even if they spark they will heal.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org