Re: [T3] Clutch Problems

<x-charset iso-8859-1>On Monday 19 November 2001 13:28, jim wrote:
> How can you tell if your clutch is gone?  I think mine is.
>

> I know I cannot replace the clutch so I'm just looking to gather enough
> information and eliminate other possibilities before I take the car to a
> mechanic where I'm guessing this will be quite pricey.

To test the clutch, put the trans into 3rd gear, and set the emergency brake
HARD. Now bring the engine RPM's up, and try letting the clutch out. It
should stall the engine. If the engine keeps running, the clutch is slipping.
You might also be able to do this in 2nd gear.
Be careful doing this, in case the emergency brake doesn't hold.

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 Fastback AT