Re: [T3] How many miles till rebuild?

<x-charset iso-8859-1>On Monday 19 November 2001 07:30, STEVEN.ANDERSON@af-group.com wrote:
> What is the average mileage on a stock engine before a rebuild? How many
> times can an engine be rebuilt? on average? how about a poll.
>
> My t-3 with a/c was rebuilt at 69,000 and 114,000 it now has 162,000. Any
> stories
> of engines or cars with 500+?

As a VW mechanic of over 30 years, I have always recommended up to 60K miles
on the valves. The bottom end/bearings depend on how the car is driven, and
the loads put on it. The automatic will get more miles out of the bearings
than a manual trans, as engine is harder to hot rod, and the tranny makes the
decisions on when to shift.
When rebuilding the bottom end, I recommend putting in case savers, and doing
a line bore on the bearing journals. An external oil filter is a a plus, but
the engine should go over 100K miles with proper oil changes.

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 Fastback AT

</x-charset>