[T3] Jasper hasn't solved all of the problyên

The location of the balance tube should allow for air(vacuum) to be
shared between all of the clyinders.  The stock setup,I believe, allows
for this.  My weber manifolds however did not.  I had to use the weber
maniflods with the solex's, because i only had single port stock ones.
The original problem which the balance tube is designed to fix is:  even
compression with  weak running and lean 1 and 3 with strong possibly
rich 2 and 4.  i had originally thought that my cam was bad before
relizing why a lack of balance tube could cause this.  I swapped it for
a scat c-35 and engine actually ran worse.  It still had the original
problem plus it was now running lean onm 2 and 4.  the  addition of the
balance tube caused the engine to run evenly on alll cylinders however
they are all very lean.  Changing from 130 to 155 main jet made NO
difference.  It appears that the reversion effect of the cam overlap is
too much for the short manifolds.  In other words, I would strongly
caution against using an oversized cam in your engine if you must use
these short manifolds. An example is mine. I have used c-35s in 1600s
before with beetle stlye carbs, this worked fine (relatively, it did
have a lumby idle the cam is designed more for 1776 and up). So it
appears that I will need  to reinstall the original mystery cam with the
balance tube.

Also, this problem should only happen with single barrel carbs, not IDFs
or DRLAs.  I hope this has helped some people out there.  It has
reminded me that no matter how much you know or have done, there are
still things out there to learn.

Jasper Webb- J.W. Autohaus and Flat Four Racing