[T3] This makes me SOOO angry...

OK, Texas classic car owners, this effects us all:

below was pulled directly from the TEXAS government website
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/tlo/textframe.cmd?LEG=76&SESS=R&CHAMBER=H
&BILLTYPE=B&BILLSUFFIX=01103&VERSION=1&TYPE=B

         By Smith                                              H.B. No. 1103
         76R3763 DWS-D
                                A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
 1-1                                   AN ACT
 1-2     relating to when a vehicle becomes a junked vehicle.
 1-3           BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
 1-4           SECTION 1.  Section 683.071, Transportation Code, is amended
 1-5     to read as follows:
 1-6           Sec. 683.071.  DEFINITION.  In this subchapter, "junked
 1-7     vehicle" means a vehicle that is self-propelled and inoper=ø¿:
 1-8                 (1)  does not have lawfully attached to it:
 1-9                       (A)  an unexpired license plate;  or
1-10                       (B)  a valid motor vehicle inspection
1-11     certificate;
1-12                 (2)  is wrecked, dismantled or partially dismantled, or
1-13     discarded;  or
1-14                 (3)  has remained inoperable for more than:
1-15                       (A)  48 consecutive hours, if the vehicle is on
1-16     public property; or
1-17                       (B)  15 [45] consecutive days, if the vehicle is
1-18     on private property.
1-19           SECTION 2.  This Act takes effect September 1, 1999.
1-20           SECTION 3.  The importance of this legislation and the
1-21     crowded condition of the calendars in both houses create an
1-22     emergency and an imperative public necessity that the
1-23     constitutional rule requiring bills to be read on three several
1-24     days in each house be suspended, and this rule is hereby suspended.

Here's what we need to do:

Oppose Scrappage and Emissions Testing of Old Cars in Texas

The following is a suggested form for a letter to Texas State
legislators
opposing H.B. 1103.  Feel free to use this letter as a guide.  Make any
changes or additions necessary to help make your case.  If possible,
place
your letter on letterhead.  Remember, the more letters sent, the better
chance we have at defeating this bill.

go to http://www.sema.com there is a search for your area, State Rep.

Dear  (Legislator XXX):

	I am writing to request that you oppose a bill (H.B. 1103) introduced
in the Texas House of Representatives to adopt a motor vehicle scrappage
program and extend the state's emissions inspection to include all
vehicles up to 35 model years old.

	Scrappage programs essentially crush older vehicles into metal
blocks.
If the experiences in other states dictate, we are extremely concerned that
a vehicle scrappage program will deny us the availability of vintage cars
and parts for restoration projeÆŠÓ’rther, amending the emissions test
requirement to include 1960s-era vehicles is excessive in light of the
low number of these vehicles and the few miles they are driven.  I am
prepared to offer my support to ensure the defeat of this legislation.

	This bill:  1) allows smokestack industries to avoid reducing their own
emissions by buying and destroying older cars 2) increases the pool of
vehicles eligible for scrappage by moving the emissions inspection
exemption from 25 to 35 model years 3) ignores the fact that scrapping
vehicles is
not a cost-effective method to reduce emissions 4) ignores the fact that
these programs are difficult to police and subject to fraud 5) ignores the
fact that older cars are infrequently used, generally well maintained and not
a good source of emissions reductions 6) ignores the fact that lower
income car owners cannot afford to purchase a new vehicle with the money
provided by scrappage programs.

	I strongly support efforts to comply with state and federal
requirements to improve air quality and believe vehicle-based emissions can
be further
reduced.  However, all mobile source emission reduction programs should
be carefully developed to achieve maximum real environmental benefits while
keeping the impact on businesses and the public as low as possible.  In
this regard, I oppose a blanket policy of retiring vehicles to scrappage.  I
hope you will too.

	I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.  My address is
(Your Address).  I can be reached during the day by telephone at (Your
telephone #).  Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

					Sincerely,
                                         your name here