[T3] Rear wheel bearings?

We've been hearing some clunking in the rear of the '71 Squareback for the
last few days.  It's only under power so I'm pretty sure it's one of the CV
joints.  I've got a few spares so it's no big deal swapping those out.

But, I decided to check the rear wheel bearings by seeing if there was any
wobble in the wheels.  I jacked the rear end, out of gear, brake off and
both rear wheels wobbled a little grabbing the top and bottom.  But,
grabbing them front to back, no movement at all.  I torqued down the hub
nuts again, just to be safe, but the up/down wobble stayed.  When I've
found a loose hub nut before, the wheel would wobble in all directions.

What does the up/down wobble indicate?

Thanks
Dave Burden
http://www.mindspring.com/~dburden/