Re: [T3] probably a dumb one...

On 25 Jun 99, at 19:36, Charlie wrote:

> OK, I don't have a dwell meter or a strobe.... so I usually use the
> feeler gauge method of setting the point gap when I swap out points then
> I adjust the idle accordingly.

> My idle adjustment screw is all the way up (out) almost and I still am a
> little low on the idling.  If I increase the point gap this will
> increase the idle speed (and does)  but then I am shooting a gap almost
> twice as wide as .40 mm (.16 in.)

You have covered the dwell by setting the point gap, but you have not
mentioned doing anything that would set the timing. Since the timing
strongly affects the idle speed AND is also very important to keep
from destroying the engine, you need to do something to set the
timing.

I prefer to do this with a timing light because you can tell all
kinds of things about how the ignition, dist, etc., are working when
you do it this way, but you can also get by with the John Muir method
of a test light and some patience. This is not as accurate, but it
will do.

I recommend that you save up for a Sears timing light. Wait for them
to go on sale.

Jim