[T3]

Listees,

    Quick question.  Per my post of a few weeks ago, I have a '72 Fasty with
dual carb setup that is leaking like a sieve and had gas in the crankcase.
I planned on putting all new gaskets and a new mechanical fuel pump on it to
get the car back on the road for the summer.  anyway, went to order the
parts today (by phone) and ran into a couple of counter guys with NO
knowledge (big surprise huh?).   I was told the following:

        1.  There is nothing unique about the type III fuel pump
(mechanical), in other words same as bug

        2.  The nylon push rod tubes ( with outer spring ) are to be
considered for emergency repairs only.

    Do any of you know if there is anything special about the type 3 fuel
pump?  Also, I've used these pushrod tubes before with no problem, but I'm
concerned with what I found out today. What are the recommended replacement
tubes of the list (Toby, Jim?)?

    Also, here's a good one.  called the local VW dealer to inquire about
the availability of factory tubes.  the "parts" guy on the phone asked "what
are pushrod tubes?"  No kidding!  Where is the heritage going?  It certainly
isn't being passed on!  He put me on hold, was gone for about 15 minutes.
and then informed me that he could order the tubes fo$¸
9 each.  What is
the best route?

    Awaiting the wisdom of the force....

- Roby Ballard