Re: [T3] fuel pump switch

Its a vERY DANGEROUS thing to jump put the fuel pump relay!  if you in an
accident the pump will continue to run and pump out all the remaining gas
through a ruptured line burning you up.

This MUST not be done under any circumstances!

Yes, I have them, it may be a week or 2 till I can get to my shed though so
Im sure someone else on the list can help out.

Keith

----------
> From: Kater900@aol.com
> To: type3@vwtype3.org
> Subject: [T3] fuel pump switch
> Date: Friday, June 11, 1999 9:42 PM
>
> Hi ,
>
> It's me, Kate again. I had the generator/VR problem a couple of weeks
ago.
> Well, I got œ7‡÷ed finally and when I picked it up from the mechanic
it
> was running really well. But the next morning I went to start it and I
could
> hear that buzzing, and all the instrument lights went on but it wouldn't
turn
> over.
>
> So I got the car back to my mechanic today  and they did an electrical
> diagnostic and finally came up with a bad, bad fuel relay switch, one of
the
> ones that is under the back seat. I know I messed around with that stuff
when
> I was trying to replace the voltage regulator, and we think that I
dislodged
> the ground wire of the relay switch and it burnt out. So the problem is
that
> he doesn't know if that part is available anymore, but he's so sweet
(Rick
> Woolfolks in LA, CA) that he stayed late today and put in a LOANER switch
so
> that I could have my car for the weekend. So I thought I would make some
> calls and write a letter to you all to see if I could come up with a
> replacement. The other question is whether or not he can bypass that
switch
> altogether. He said that the fuel pump switch in the front has already
been
> bypassed and that it's not an uncommon thing to do in older cars. But
he's
> not sure that the same thing can be done to this bad one. What do you all

> think???? The part number is 311-906-061. Do you know where I cn get one?
I'm
> going to search around the website for it, but just in case, do you all
have
> any words of wisdom for me and my mechanic? I'd really appreciate it.
Email