Re: Was [T3] Polishing? Metal Materials?

On 10 Jun 99, at 11:06, OurVWs@aol.com wrote:

> I have always heard that aluminum was able to transfer heat (ie: cools
> quicker) at greater rate than say steel or tin.
>
> If this is in fact the case (I may be WAY wrong here), wouldn't a VW cool
> better if the cooling tins were made of aluminum?   Also, if that's the case,
> would aluminum valve covers aide in cooling also?

It depends on the thickness, too. An aluminum valve cover would have
to be made enough thicker that I don't think you can come out even
unless you put fins on it.

The cooling tins don't need to CONDUCT heat to cool. Their primœYø7ction is to guide the cooling air to where it's needed, but they
also have a secondary function of absorbing heat radiated by the
engine parts, This heat will then be passed off to the passing air.
In this case the thermal conductivity of the material is unimportant.

Jim