Re: [T3] Polishing?

On 8 Jun 99, at 11:28, Thomas Mogombus wrote:

> Yes I made the mistake of taking mainly black clothing to Burning Man last year
> (~120F). I'm well aware of this effect. But you stated that 'A black engine will
> run cooler than a white engine, all other things being
> equal' so you don't mean the case, just the tin correct?

What's not commonly known is that better absorbers are also better
emitters. Anything that you hope to cool by any amount of radiation
will cool better if it is black. It is just difficult to make your
case black, but it would help the oil rid itself of heat.

> I don't like faith... someone has surely done some comparitive tests with
> polished/unpolished and varying colored cases before eh?

Faith often leads us on wild goose chases. Avoid it. But this doesn't
mean that you should ignore well proven facts like thermodynamics. It
is not necessary to test a VW to know that dull black is better than
shiny chrome. Chrome is for show.

Jim