[T3] Starter problem

Over the big weekend I had my '69 out of the garage to clean the floor of
the garage ( I ended up pushing it out, because of a dead battery ). After
cleaning the garage ( and charging the battery ), I tried to start it. I
could hear the starter turning, but the gear wasn't engaging with the
flywheel. It was just spinning, and not turning the motor. What's the
deal? Would this be the solenoid? If there is something simple here please
advise. Other wise I'll take the starter off and check it out. TIA

Phillip Bradfield - Portland, Oregon

'63 Notchback w/ 68 pan - waiting for brake, electrical, and carb work
'68 Squareback - waiting for '67 euro fenders and front clip
'69 Squareback - chopped 3 1/2" currently getting the drip rails shaved
'96 Jetta GL - Neuspeed P-Chip and short shift kit, that's all for now