[T3] T3 Wheel Bearing Adjustment

Howdy All:

   I was driving my Square (1970) the other day and when I went to
   turn a corner I heard this "click, click, click" out of the
   front end.  When I got home I checked the front end out, and
   when I shook the right front tire (grabbed it on both sides
   and used a back and forth movement) the wheel moved about 1/4"
   and made the "click" noise.  It seemed like the wheel studs
   had come loose.  So I jacked it up and found that they were
   already tightened!  So, out came the Bentley and the Muir.
   I have never adjusted the front wheel bearings and I am
   hoping this is all that needs to be done.

   When I read the procedure in the Bentley, they pictured this
   device to measure the wheel bearing free play.  The Muir said
   to tighten them up.  I don't have one of these wheel bearing
   play measuring devices so how do I know when I have it right?
   Tighten up and then back off slightly?

   Thanks in advance

   Allen Moore
   Houston, TX