RE: [T3] backfire

Valve springs can be changed with the engine in the car.  Just not as easy
if
the engine was out.

If the mechanic isn't a long haul away, and you've been driving four days
already, I don't think a one-way trip to the mechanic will be any more
detrimental.  But I give VWs a lot of credit for being ¦?¯—asts (my baby
has
proven herself many a time) so if you think yours should be towed (and you
can
do it for free with AAA or other auto club) then tow it.

   Toby Erkson
   '75 Porsche 914 1.8L, ORPCA member
   '95 VW Jetta GL 2.0L, boringly bone-stock
   Portland, Oregon, http://www.pobox.com/~toby_erkson/