[T3] Tip of the week

You're driving along, minding your own business, all's right with the
world, when you suddenly notice the engine is missing erratically. Then
you notice that it's getting steadily worse. It becomes clear that it
does better with steady cruising, but acceleration is getting to be a
disaster, and you start thinking about finding a place to park before
something serious cuts loose.

This happened to me last night while cruising through the center of
Phoenix, which is not the best place to pull over on a party night.
You should find that place and get out the tools, but don't even think
about valves or plugs or timing or overheat until you've checked the
dwell.

After running myself around the bend in the middle of the night, goofing
with adjustments for altitude, fuel mixture, even running the valves, I
finally turned on my dwell meter and there it was. The points were
drifting apart, possibly because the rotor shaft was dry, possibly
because they were just not up to necessary quality. I had to stop
several times over the hour and a half on the way home to readjust them.

I thought I'd place this in the group consciousness since I replaced the
points with a Pertronix unit today, and I don't expect this to come up
again.

Thanks all for your suggestions on dying at idle. Wishing everyone a
prosperous, safe and fun-filled '99 --

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 343