From: Jim Adney [mailto:jadney@vwtype3.org]
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 12:44 AM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: [T3] Art Sterrett's Brain

Some of you may remember that Art Sterrett has a '71 that would run
as long as you got the fuel pump to run by some other means. We took
him thru all the troubleshooting that we could imagine, always
insisting that there was little chance that the brain was at fault.
In the end, however, Art diligently did all the tests and finally
bought a 311 D brain from me with the understanding that he could
return it if it didn't fix his problem.

Well, as he reported here, the new brain DID fix the problem and Art
was kind enough to send me the old brain (Abby Normal) so that I
might be able to figure out what its problem had been.

This weekend I actually got around to opening it up, and one of the
first things I noticed was that one of the transistors was sort of
crooked. Out of habit, I reached down to straighten it a bit and was
astonished when it just came loose in my hand. All three leads were
rusted thru!

This transistor was one of several large metal can transistors, but
this was the only one with a little heat sink pushed over the top of
it. Now Bosch built these brains to really nice standards, so they
used some little 3-pointed star spacers to position each transistor
just the right distance above the PC board. Most of the transistors
where just soldered in that way, but this one had been done
differently.

This one had a little silicone rubber pad under the transistor body,
presumably to give it a bit of a cushion since it had the extra mass
of the heat sink attached to it. This was the only one with a heat
sink and the only one with the little silicone pad. The transistor
leads had just been pushed thru the soft pad, so the pad was tight
around each lead. And where this pad was, that was where each lead
had rusted thru.

I pulled off the heat sink so I could read the part number of the
transistor, but found that it was unmarked. Nevertheless, the old
transistor was still good, so I could verify which leads were which
and tell that this was an NPN transistor.

The next day I took the brain the rest of the way apart, so I could
get to the under side of the PC board, picked a reasonable substitute
from my stash, and soldered it in. While the board was up I checked
and found that wire 19 went directly to the collector of this
transistor and that its emitter was connected to ground. This all
seemed reasonable and was exactly the way I would have done it.

Today I put it all back together, leaving the cover off the brain
box, and installed it in my '71. Now it ran the fuel pump and worked
just fine on a short test drive. I'm not sure why the heat sink is on
there, because even after the test drive, this transistor felt no
warmer than ambient (even if I removed the heat sink.)

I also took a few minutes and looked thru some of the other brains I
have around here, and this is what I found.

    Late brains seem to have moved that transistor. It's not in the same
    location. I'm not sure where it moved to.

    Early brains have that transistor in the same location, but they
    don't have a heat sink or the silicone pad on that transistor.

    I have one other brain that I could reach in where that transistor
    seemed "loose." It's not like all the leads were rusted thru, but
    maybe one was. Any one would still put that transistor out of
    commision.

I'm guessing that this is likely to be a problem in mid generation FI
brains where they are in damp climates. I believe Art lives in
Alabama. Is that where this car spent most of its life, Art?

If there are other of you out there who had this same problem, I can
now fix them, but I'm afraid that getting in and out of there takes
several hours, so repair is not likely to be any cheaper than a good
used brain.

And, BTW, I traced the wires that lead out to the injectors and found
that they appear to lead directly to a 6 Ohm resistor in series with
each injector. So Dave and Constantine were both right about the
injectors not getting the full 12 V. I guess Bosch figured that full
voltage would be okay for the short time that they were energized by
the tester (or maybe there are resistors in the tester that I've
forgotten about.)